New GI Bill Benefits

The Post-9/11 GI Bill: New GI Bill

U.S. Army soldiers with at least 90 days of active duty after September 10, 2001 and an honorable discharge, qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, also known as the New GI Bill. Veterans with 30 days of service who were discharged because of a service-connected disability may also use the New GI Bill benefits.

Launched on August 1, 2009, the New GI Bill provides financial assistance for Army veterans to attend approved colleges, universities, or vocational schools offering degree programs. It differs from the Montgomery GI Bill in that the New GI Bill can cover all tuition and associated fees, up to the in-state maximum for both undergraduate and graduate degree programs. You can attend classes on campus or through an online program.

New GI Bill Benefits: The Rules Have Changed

If you meet the new Bill's eligibility requirements, the amount of assistance you receive ties directly to your length of active duty service, your school's location, and your type of degree program. For eligible veterans, the New GI Bill pays:

  • Undergraduate tuition and fees up to the maximum public school in-state amount

  • A monthly housing allowance

  • A book stipend, up to $1,000 per academic year

  • Up to $2,000 for tutorial services or certification exams

  • A one-time rural re-location benefit of $500 for veterans moving from a rural area to attend college

Under the New GI Bill rules, the VA pays your tuition and fees directly to your school. Another new feature of the Post-9/11 GI Bill is the option to transfer your benefits. As a soldier still on active duty, you may transfer unused education benefits to your spouse or dependent children. To be eligible to transfer your benefits, you must have served at least six years on active duty and commit to serving another four years. Benefits expire 15 years from your U.S. Army date of discharge.

New GI Bill's Yellow Ribbon Program

Another new feature of the New GI Bill is the Yellow Ribbon Program. If you plan on attending a private school, or need to pay out-of-state tuition, ask if your school participates in the program. The colleges and universities that participate have an agreement with the VA where the school agrees to pay up to 50 percent of the tuition and fees over the maximum amount paid by the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The VA agrees to pick up an equal portion leaving you with little to no out-of-pocket costs. The Yellow Ribbon Program is especially helpful, if you plan on:

  • Earning a graduate degree

  • Studying at a private college or university

  • Attending college as an out-of-state student

The New GI Bill primarily pays for college programs leading to a degree, but it may also cover other programs from accredited learning institutions, such as advanced flight training, correspondence courses, and entrepreneurship training. This GI Bill differs from the Montgomery GI Bill in that this version does not pay for training leading up to a license or certificate, nor does it pay for non-degree programs.

Yellow_Ribbon_Pamphlet.pdf100.58 KB
Share this