Fort Ord

About

Originally founded in 1917, Fort Ord was used in the 1930's to train horse-mounted cavalry, and during World War II was used by the 7th Infantry Division and as a location for Basic Training. Fort Ord was primarily used as a Basic Training and staging area for soldiers about to ship overseas until 1976, when the 7th Infantry Division returned, and the training areas were closed.

In 1991 Fort Ord was recommended to be closed by the Base Realignment and Closing Commission (BRAC), and the Fort was officially closed in 1994. Today, a small portion of the original post remains under Army control - known as the Ord Military Community, used by the California National Guard, as well as other current and retired military members.

Nearest City: 
Seaside, Sand City, Monterey, Del Rey Oaks, and Marina
State: 
CA
Country: 
US
Share this