Fort Hamilton

About

While the garrison at Fort Hamilton can be traced back to 1826, the future site of Fort Hamilton was used in 1776 by a small artillery battery to fire on the British fleet - one of the earliest recorded military uses of this site. For many years, this location was used primarily as coastal artillery battery, although during the two World Wars, it was used as a processing center for soldiers.

Today Fort Hamilton houses the headquarters of Northern Atlantic Division of the US Army Corps of Engineers, a Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS), and the New York City Recruiting Battalion. It also supports National Guard and Reserve units through New York City and State, as well as a Harbor Defense Museum.

Home to
Primary Units: 
Military District of Washington
Nearest City: 
Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst
State: 
NY
Country: 
US
Share this