Military Police provide five main battlefield funtions:
- Maneuver and Mobility Support Operations
- Area Security Operations
- Law & Order Operations
- Internment/Resettlement Operations
- Police Intelligence Operations
A Military Police Lieutenant has the following responsibilities:
- Lead and direct small, tactical Military Police units and organizations (typically MP Platoons).
- Provide Military Police coordination at all levels.
- Serve as Military Police advisor to Army Reserve and Army National Guard organizations.
Additional responsibilities of a Military Police Captain are:
- Commanding and controlling company-sized Military Police units (100-200 Soldiers).
- Coordinate the employment of Military Police Soldiers at all levels of command, from company to division level and beyond, in U.S. and multi-national operations.
- Instruct Military Police skills at service schools and combat training centers.