going af reserve to army active

5 replies [Last post]

Currently in the Air Force as an 2a636 (electrical and enviromental) have not taken end of course test. How possible is it for me to the army active?
Scored a 61 on the asvab when i took it(2009) and am willing to move to certain jobs if necessary.

Share this
Your rating: None Average: 5 (1 vote)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
MSG Glenn
Joined: 08/31/2010
RE: AF Reserve to Active Army

The only MOS that prior service are being offered at this time is MOS 18X, Special Forces. That means Basic Combat Training, Infantry School(Combat Arms MOSs combine the two called OSUT - One Station Unit Training)& Airborne School before SF Assessment & Selection. If you washout out of SF training you'll be placed as an Infantryman.

It's relatively easy to get into the Army Reserve or National Guard but if you decide to make the switch to the Regular Army you'd still be classified as prior service with the same restrictions.

NAVYSUPPO (not verified)
Blue to Green (Navy Reserve Officer)

Is it possible for Navy Reserve Officers (Supply Corps) to go Army Active? I have heard mixed comments from a lot of people and would really like to go Active Duty in the Army as an Officer.

Currently the Navy is not accessing us Reserve Supply Officers onto active duty.



MSG Glenn
Joined: 08/31/2010

First off, Sir I can tell you that I don't know a whole lot about Officer recruiting in the Army.

I can tell you that if you were enlisted going from a different branch, the Army Reserve or National Guard or a former serviceman you'd be considered under the prior service rules. At this time all the prior service enlisted man would be offered is Special Forces. That means Infantry & Airborne Schools before Special Forces Assessment & Selection.

I suggest calling an Army Recruiter & I'm sure he can give you a POC for someone in Officer aquisition. If the Army needs Supply Officers then you're probably a go. I don't really know, though. It's getting increasingly difficult to get into the Army on the enlisted side & I'm sure the same holds true on the Officer side.

I find that there's a lot of people from other branches trying to get into the Army. I was one of them. I served in the Navy beginning in Submarines & then the UDT/SEALs for 6 years & eventually made the switch into Airborne Infantry. I served with a 2 former Submariners, both Officers who got their commissions in ROTC after getting out of the Navy. One of my Generals was also former Navy enlisted who went the Army ROTC route, too.

Good luck, Sir & let us know what happens.

Joined: 07/23/2012
Army SF

I was commissioned as an Officer in 2010 and did not complete flight school but earned my wings from the initial schooling after 2.5 years. There is a possibility to get an Honorable Administrative Discharge in a few months if the Navy decides not to place me in another. I have been talking to Army recruiters about how I can get into an Army Ranger or Army SF. I would much rather go in enlisted so that I can gain the experience. Additionally Army SF acquisitions are only offering officer level jobs for people with a technical background. I was wondering if it was possible to start enlisted and work my way back up the ranks to an officer level later when I get the experience?

MSG Glenn
Joined: 08/31/2010
@ nawhem1

I think you would have to resign your commission first. From what I've heard there are no longer any "hip-pocket" commissions where a service member is both enlisted active duty & commissioned in the Reserve.

My advice is to continue working with Army Recruiters. Let them find out what you have to do to enlist in the Army as a Special Forces candidate. I think a lot depends on the needs of the Army & SF.

Have you considered trying out for the SEALs? That way you could stay in the Navy & still be in Special Operations.

Good luck & let us know what happens.