ANYONE know how to find members of your old unit? Need buddy letter for VA.

2 replies [Last post]
Joined: 11/09/2015

I was stationed at MEDDAC, FT Riley May1988 when I took a hit during PT, fractured all my lower incisors, dislocated my jaw, lost consciousness and woke with blood running down my throat unable to open my mouth. The soldiers from my unit physically carried me to the ER where they restored my airway and did root canals on those teeth. It was bloody enough, if I can find one of them I'm sure they'll remember.

ALL medical records of the event are lost.

For dental care, the VA requires proof that it's service connected, and a letter from a fellow soldier that witnessed it would work.

Any clue how to track down a soldier from my unit over 20 years ago? Just got notice today that the VA is hearing on this in 7 days.

Appreciate any bumps to keep this topic hot for that week, and any advice or contacts that lead me to a possible witness. I found a physician I believe was the hospital commander at the time (Col. William Hart Parry, MD) but I can't find his contact info, other than he last worked in Santa Rosa, Tx. I don't know that the hospital commander would remember anyway. I can't remember who my CO or 1SGT was. The hospital states they don't have records that far back.

Thanks again!

Share this
No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Joined: 08/16/2010

It may sound odd, but have you tried Facebook? You can find a lot of people on there, and finding just one or two familiar names may be all you need to get in contact with people that can help you quickly.

That's a little disappointing that all the medical and hospital records are lost and the VA gave you such short notice. Have you told the VA about the lost records?

MSG Glenn
Joined: 08/31/2010
I am a...

...victim of lost medical records & in need of dental work myself. I took a piece of shrapnel that entered the corner of my mouth when I was a Navy Frogman way back when. It bounced around the inside & knocked a bunch of teeth loose & cracked many of them. They fixed me up just fine. Upon my discharge physical even though I was told all the dental work was a temporary fix all seemed well. When I entered the Army I was told the same thing & they said the same when I received my retirement physical. Now some of the teeth are cracking & pieces are falling out. I lost a few of them. VA can't find a record of anything happening & won't do anything. I can get them fixed on my own but can't afford the several thousand dollars it'll take. When I applied for Tricare I had to skip the dental insurance because it's very costly in this area. At the time I was told the VA would fix me up free of charge since it was combat related. Now they can't find my medical records. Coincidence? Fortunately there's very little pain involved but I lost my smile.