Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG) was established near Chesapeake Bay in Harford County, Maryland in 1917 to provide a site where Army materiel could be tested. Around the same time, Edgewood Arsenal was established nearby to provide a site for the development, production, and testing of chemical warfare equipment. The two installations were officially joined as Aberdeen Proving Ground in 1971.
APG employs more than 21,000 civilian, military and contractors, making it the largest employer in Hartford County. It is home to 11 major commands and supports more than 70 tenants, 20 satellite and 17 private activities. The installation provides facilities to perform research, development, testing and evaluation of Army equipment. Facilities include laboratories for research investigations, state-of-the-art ranges, engineering test courses for wheeled and tracked vehicles and a wide variety of research. The installation also supports a wide variety of training, including mechanical maintenance, health promotion and preventive medicine, chemical and biological defense, and chemical casualty care, chemical demilitarization. APG also is host National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve operations and training.
Aberdeen Proving Ground covers more than 72,500 acres, more than half of which is water or wetlands. There are more than 6,800 acres of improved grounds, nearly 300 miles of road, and more than 567,000 square yards of airfield pavement.
APG’s facilities include more than 17 million square feet of building space in more than 2,000 buildings (including offices, administrative and training facilities, and warehouses, barracks and family housing). There are more than 40 miles of track, nearly 200 firing positions, 8 medical research laboratories, 10 chemical laboratories, 2 physics laboratories, 5 human engineering laboratories, a materials research laboratory as well as Phillips Army Airfield and Weide Army Aviation Support Facility.