The Green-to-Gold Active Duty Option – Are You Up to the Challenge?

If you have at least two years of college and are an Army enlisted soldier with at least two years of service, the Army has a program where your job for up to 24 consecutive months is going to school. The Green-to-Gold (G2G) Active Duty Option lets you either finish your bachelor’s degree or if you already have your four-year degree, earn a master’s degree. What’s the catch? You have to agree that once you receive your degree, you will accept a commission as an Army Officer. If you plan on staying in the Army, why not serve your country as an officer along with maximizing your GI Bill benefits.
What is the G2G Program?
While in college under the program, you have to participate in the school's ROTC program, so one of the requirements is choosing a school that has a ROTC program. While in ROTC, you will develop your leadership, problem solving, strategic planning and professional ethics skills-all things you need to be a successful Army officer.
Earn To Learn
As a ROTC member, you continued to get paid your normal pay and allowances. If going to school requires a Permanent Change of Station (PCS), the Army will pay you to move your household goods just as if you were transferring to a new duty station (because your school is your duty station for the next 24 months).
Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for the Green-to-Gold Active Duty Option, you must meet the basic eligibility requirements of:
having served a minimum of two years on active duty;
- having a minimum ASVAB GT score of 110;
- being a U.S. citizen;
- receiving a recommendation from your chain of command;
- being able to graduate by age 27.
Maximize Your GI Bill Benefits
If you are already eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill, Post-9/11 GI Bill, or have a "kicker", you keep these benefits while in and after the G2G Program. Because the Army is picking up the tab for your schooling, you don’t deplete your GI Bill benefits. This allows you to save your GI Bill benefits for additional schooling after you are out of the Army or to transfer your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to your spouse or dependent children once you have served for six years and agree to serve an additional four years.

Share this
Your rating: None Average: 4.3 (27 votes)