Will the GI Bill Pay for Out-of-State Tuition?

Q: My home of record is Pennsylvania, but I am looking at going to school in Florida and living there, but not until school starts. Does this wind up counting as out-of-state tuition, and will the GI Bill cover it?

A: Yes, you will have to pay out-of-state tuition. As far as if the GI bill will cover it or not, both the Montgomery GI Bill and Post 9/11 GI Bill will partially, but each pay differently. Let me explain. 

Under the Montgomery GI Bill, you will get a fixed amount - currently at $1,368 per month. Out of this amount, you will have to pay your tuition, fees, and other expenses. Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the VA will pay your school in Florida for your tuition and fees, up to the in-state maximum for Florida set by the VA. Right now, that amount is up to $295 per credit hour for tuition and up to $62,000 for tuition and fees combined per term.

The tuition amount will most likely not cover all of your education expenses and you are responsible to pay for the difference, unless your school is a Yellow Ribbon school.  In that case, your school can pay up to half of what the VA doesn't pay and the VA will pay an equal amount. That should pay most of what you owe.

Also, you will get a monthly housing allowance paid at the E-5-with-dependents rate for the zip code of your school. And don't forget about your book stipend - that can be up to $1,000 per year, paid at $41.67 per credit up to 24 credits per year.

Share this
Your rating: None Average: 3.3 (10 votes)