As A Six-Year Army Reserve Veteran, Am I Eligible for Any GI Bill Benefits?

Q: I did 6 years as a soldier in the Army Reserve and I did not re-enlist in 2005. At the time, I lived in Louisiana, but now I live In Missouri. Am I eligible for any GI benefits for graduate school?

A:  Actually you might have some GI Bill education benefits depending on how much Title 10 active duty service you had during your time in the Army Reserve after September 10, 2001. As you probably know, your Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) ended upon your discharge.

But if you had any remaining benefits under REAP, or if you had at least 90 aggregate active duty days after the September 10, 2001, you may qualify for up to 36 months at the Post 9/11 GI Bill 40% tier level.  What does that mean? The way the Post 9/11 GI Bill works is the VA pays your school directly for your tuition and fees.  You get a monthly housing allowance and book stipend.  Depending on which tier you are at, the VA would only pay that percentage of your tuition and fees and you would get that percentage for your housing allowance and book stipend. The more months of qualifying service you have, the higher you set on the tier ladder, all the way up to 100% for 36 or more months of service. 

As far as if you are eligible for any veterans benefits in Missouri, you would have to check with their State Veterans Office.

Share this
Your rating: None Average: 5 (1 vote)