Now That I Have Post 9/11 GI Bill Transferred Benefits, How Do I Start Using Them?

My husband transferred some of his GI Bill over to me and I'm not sure how to get started from there, in order to begin using it to finish my education or even who to talk to.

It is really pretty simple once the transfer request is approved. Being you are going to use Post 9/11 GI Bill transferred benefits, all you have to do is go to the VONAPP website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. In return, your will get back a Certificate of Eligibility that you will need when registering for classes as a GI Bill student. When your husband decides to start using his benefits, he can submit VA Form 22-1990.

If you are starting classes soon and can’t wait to get your certificate, you could talk to your school VA Certifying Official and that person could certify you on the spot so you could register immediately. If you have the time before you start school, and you don't want to use the online option, you could download the same VA form, fill it out and submit it using the instructions on the form. It takes longer to process due to the snail-mail time, but it is another way to get started using your benefits.

Share this
Your rating: None Average: 1 (1 vote)