Army Regulation AR 621-202 Army Educational Incentives and Entitlements, which was first published in February of 1992, was updated this month (February of 2016) and the new regulations will take effect on March 8, 2016.
Changes in the New AR 621-202
There are several major changes to this regulation, since the previous 1992 version was published many years before many of the current benefits - such as the Post-9/11 GI Bill - were implemented.
The Summary of Change in the newly revised AR includes:
- Updates information on the history of and changes to the Army College Fund.
- Reviews public laws that have implemented the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
- Reviews public law that has amended the Loan Repayment Program.
- Includes revised information on eligibility requirements and counseling and processing paperwork for the Regular Army Loan Repayment Program.
- Updates information on Selected Reserve Health Professionals Loan Repayment.
- Updates information on Health Professional Stipend Programs.
- Updates information on Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program.
While it doesn't appear that any of the regulations or rules have changed, it's always a good idea to make sure that you have a copy of, read, and understand the most up-to-date Army Regulations.
The New AR 621-202
You can find a copy of the updated AR 621-202 (as well as the current edition) at Army Publishing Directorate's website, or you can click the link at the bottom of this article to download the .PDF file directly.