If Something Happens to Me While Serving in the Army, Are My Husband and Children Taken Care Of?

Q: If something happens to me in the Army and I have a husband and kids, what will happen to them? Do they get any service or help if something happens to me? A: There are many Army benefits available from Departments of Veterans Affairs and Defense, along with the Social Security Administration. For example, if you are killed or die from a service-connected disability, your dependent children and spouse get from the VA:

  • up to 45 months each of education benefits
  • a Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) currently at $1,154 per month for your spouse and between $488 per month for one child, up to a maximum of nine children paid at $217.16 per month per child
  • payment of the Servicemember Group Life Insurance policy
  • a monthly transition payment of $250 per month for two years
  • various counseling services

From the Department of Defense, your spouse gets paid a non-taxable $100,000 death gratuity along with other Army benefits such as:

  • care, transportation, and internment of your remains
  • transportation of your family to the internment site
  • pay and allowances disbursement
  • casualty assistance

The Social Security Administration pays a monthly benefit to your surviving spouse and each dependent child under the age of 18. In addition to the ones listed here, there are several other tangible and non-tangible Army benefits too numerous to mention in this blog post.

Share this
Your rating: None Average: 4.1 (57 votes)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

millitary marrage

If im engaged to someone in the millitary, is there any way they can get me and i can live with them and get married on base?

If I'm Engaged, Can I Live and Get Married on Base?

You need a military or dependent ID to get on a military base, if you are going to live there.  Your ID is checked everytime you enter through a gate. You won't be able to get an ID unless you are married to a soldier or work on base.

If you want to visit for a short time, you will have to stop at the gate office and first get a Visitors Pass before going through the gate.

You can get married in a Base Chapel by a Chaplian.



This is so confusing (Active v Reserves etc)

My father served in the Army since the mid 70's as both Active and Reservist. He retired out shortly after being diagnosed with a rare cancer the in the late 90s. We buried him in 1999, with a full military service burial. He also served as a DOD police officer at a base.
I tried to claim education benefits for myself and was denied (as I was told by my college contact). I am trying to figure out if my younger brother is eligible for anything or if there is any insurance that my mom can claim as she is recouping from a stroke.
Anyone who can point me in a direction would be my favorite person in the world!

Death Benifits

I am a veteran with 8yrs active service. Four in the Army and four in the CG along with 2yrs inactive reserve. I have terminal cancer. Can my wife request a military burial or at the least a flag and gun salute? How do I go about getting that information?
Thank you