If I'm in the National Guard, Can I Get a Housing Allowance?

Q: I'm curious about BAH and GI Bill. What will I receive if enrolled in college full time? The college VA Office told me I would get $333/month from GI Bill (I am in the old one I believe? 1607?) I am in the Guard, 1 year of service, no deployment. I have heard mixed statements about also receiving BAH in the amount of E5 w/dependents based on the zip code of my school? If that is correct, what paperwork, and to whom do I submit it to? Any help would be great! I want to get a degree prior to my 2013 deployment date, but sure can't live on only $300/month.

A: I hear you, $300 a month isn't much to live on, but your VA Representative was right with that amount. Since you are in the Guard, you have the Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR), also known as Chapter 1606. Chapter 1607 is the Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP). 

What you heard about BAH is true for veterans having the Post 9/11 GI Bill. To qualify for that GI Bill, you need at least 90 days of active duty service, after September 10, 2001, to qualify for minimum benefits and three years of service for the full benefit.

As a member of the Guard, not only will you have your MGIB-SR of $333 per month, but you will also have:

Every state has their own education assistance programs for their National Guard members, and as a Guardsman, you are authorized TA. Ask about it at your unit.

I don't know if all of this will add up to enough that you can live on and go to school full-time, but it may be enough to allow you to work only part-time and go to school either part-time or full-time.

Share this
Your rating: None Average: 3.8 (26 votes)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

BAH/Housing allowance of zip code where school is at

Can I receive the Housing allowance of an out-of-state school if I attend live classes from a satellite office of the out-of-state college that is in my state?

More info please?

BAH is based on your residence if you are active duty or where you are living at after you get out of the military and receiving benefits under the post 9/11 GI bill.

Housing allowance.

I remember when my dad was still active duty in the Air Force he would pack up all my brothers, and sisters after getting his orders, and have a house ready for us to stay in. His commanding CO had everything ready.