How Do I Transfer My Montgomery GI Bill Benefits to My Daughter?

Q: I am a veteran of the United States Army, retiring in November of 1994 after serving 20 years. My GI Bill has never been used, and I want to know is it possible for me to transfer the benefits to my daughter (18 years old) to use it towards achieving her college degree.

A: Back in 1994, you had the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB), which generally did not have a transfer-to-dependents option. The other issue is you are past your delimiting date. The MGIB is only good for 10 years from your discharge date, so your GI Bill expired in November 2004.

Only the Post 9/11 GI Bill has the transfer option, but to get it, you had serve at least six years on active duty, agree to serve an additional four years and had been on active duty yet on or after August 1, 2009 to make a transfer of benefits. 

Even though your daughter can’t use your GI Bill benefits, there are many different forms of education financial assistance available. My suggestion is for her to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to see what she may qualify for as far as scholarships, grants or loans.

Share this
No votes yet