How Do I Change From the Old GI Bill to the New GI Bill Online?

Q: How do I change from the old to the new online?

A: Switching from the old Montgomery GI Bill to the new Post 9/11 GI Bill is easy, but I want to caution you first that once you switch, you can’t switch back. I want you to be aware of the Post 9/11 GI Bill limitations before you switch.

The New GI Bill is generally good only for degree-producing programs. So if you plan to take a trade, technical, license or certification course, you would most likely be better off keeping the old GI Bill.

If your non-degree course is taught at a school also teaching degree programs, then your course MAY be covered by the Post 9/11 GI Bill, but you would want to check with the VA to be sure before you switch. If you plan to take a degree program, but you want to do it all online, the MGIB may be a better Bill to use as the Post 9/11 GI Bill does not pay the housing allowance to those taking all online courses (at least not yet). That will change in August 2011 with the passage of the Post 9/11 GI Bill Fix legislation. Online-only students at the 100% level would get 50% of the housing allowance. Of course the way around it is to take at least one class per term that pertains to your degree plan at a local college and then you are authorized the full housing allowance.  

To switch, go to the VONAPP website and submit VA Form 22-1990. You will get back a Certificate of Eligibility that you will need when registering as a GI Bill student.

Share this
Your rating: None Average: 3 (2 votes)