How Can My Wife Use the Rest of My Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Q: I have an honorable discharge from the National Guard with roughly 2 years active service to due to Operation Iraqi Freedom. My question is can my wife use the rest my GI Bill or whatever it is called to get her school paid for? If so where do I start to get the ball rolling? Thank you.

A: With two years of active duty Title 10 service in support of a contingency operation (such as OIF) after September 10, 2001, you would have earned 36 months of the Post 9/11 GI Bill paid at the 80% level. Unfortunately, for your wife to use your benefits, you would have had to make a transfer request while you were still in the National Guard. The way Congress wrote up the transfer of benefit option, you had to be a member of the Armed Forces on or after 1 August 2009 to make a transfer request.

Had you known that, your wife could have received however many months of benefits you chose to give her and been paid at the same level as if you were using those benefits – 80%. About the only way you could make a transfer now is to get back into the National Guard. It could be worth it to get back in, make your transfer, serve your time and then get out, so she can use your GI Bill transferred benefits. 

Share this
No votes yet