With Him Having Only a Year In the Army, Can I Use My Husband's GI Bill?

Q: My husband is currently in Afghanistan. I plan on going back to school. He's only been in the Army a little over a year. We are done paying into the GI Bill. We thought that I could use his benefits because he already has a degree. Now I am being told that he has to fill out the information. No one is really helping me to find the answers and he can't be reached. Can you tell me what I can use and how? Thank you.

A: Let me explain the GI Bills and the process on how your husband could transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill education benefits to you. First, the GI Bill he paid into is the Montgomery GI Bill. He would not be eligible to use that GI Bill at the full benefit for at least another two years, and unfortunately that GI Bill is not transferrable to spouses or dependents.

So first, he would have to switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill before he could transfer benefits to you, however, there is a minimum time-served issue. While he would be fully eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill after three years of active duty service, he would not be able to make a transfer to you, until he has served six years on active duty and commit to serving an additional four years. The information he has to fill out would be to go online to the TEB Website to make a transfer to you, but as you can see, that is a few years down the road.

If you want to get started now going to school, I suggest you look at some of the Army Spouses education programs available, such as the SSEAP or OSEAP among others

Share this
Your rating: None Average: 4.2 (35 votes)