Does the GI Bill Cover Tuition for Graduate Schools Overseas?

Q: Does the GI Bill cover tuition for graduate schools overseas, specifically in the UK?

A: If you qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, that would be your best option to use to attend graduate school, however, it will not pay for everything. Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the VA would pay your tuition and fees, up to $408.09 and $10,502.97, respectively. If your graduate costs are more, you would have to pay the difference. Being you are attending school in a foreign country, you would get paid a housing allowance at the fixed amount of $1,333 per month (2009 rate). You would also get a book stipend of $41.67 per credit, up to a maximum of $1,000 per year, which works out to 24 credits.

There is a couple of advantages to attending graduate school here in the United States.  One, if you went to a Yellow Ribbon school that includes their graduate programs, they would pay up to half of the difference not paid by the VA and the VA would pay an equal amount.  Two, your housing allowance would be based on the BAH for an E-5 with dependents for the zip code of your school instead of a fixed amount. Depending on where you go to school, this can be as high as $2,700 per month. I needed you to be aware of these two differences. If you use the Montgomery GI Bill, you would get $1,368 per month and you would have to pay all your own tuition, fees and related expenses.

Share this
Your rating: None Average: 3 (6 votes)