Can I Use My Husband's GI Bill Benefits?

Q: My husband has 24 years of military service. He served in Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom. Can I utilize his Military Post 9/11 GI bill benefit?

A: Two things has to exist before you can use his Post 9/11 GI Bill. One, he has to still be on active duty, as he can’t make a transfer once he is discharged. Two, if he is still on active duty, then he has to go to the TEB website and transfer a number of unused GI Bill benefits to you. Then has to keep checking back at the TEB website and watch for Status block to change from “pending” to “approved” and the Status Date block to fill in with the date of the approval, which can take up to 8 weeks.

Once that happens, then you can go to the VONAPP website and electronically submit VA Form 22-1990e. Once your request is approved, you will get back a Certificate of Eligibility, which you need when you enroll in school.

After enrolling in school, your school will send in a Certificate of Enrollment. Once your form and theirs match up at the VA, that triggers the payment process to your school. If your husband is still on active duty, then you will not get the housing allowance. If you wait to go to school until after he is out, you will get it.

Share this
Your rating: None Average: 1 (1 vote)