Can I Get The Full Post 9/11 GI Bill Housing Allowance By Going to a Technical School?

Q: How many credit hours are required to be considered "full time" to receive BAH. I'm about to get out of the Army and would like to know if I would receive BAH while going to a technical school (Michigan Institute of Aviation and Technology)?

A: First, when talking about the Post 9/11 GI Bill, BAH is a misnomer and shouldn’t be confused with what you got paid on active duty. While the housing allowance uses the BAH tables to calculate the housing allowance, it is not BAH. The Department of Defense is the only agency that can pay BAH. The VA pays a housing allowance.

To qualify for a housing allowance, a student must first qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, not be an online-only student and have a rate-of-pursuit of greater-than-half-time. So to know what half-time is (and to be over that point) it is necessary to know how many credits your school considers to be full-time. It can vary from school to school. Once you know that value, then you need to take 51% of that number to be considered greater that half-time and receive the full housing allowance.

However, that policy will change starting in August due to the passage of the GI Bill 2.0. Once the change goes into effect, only students carrying a full-time load will get the full housing allowance. Less than full-time students will get a prorated amount directly based on how many credits they are taking. If they take 51% of the full-time load, they will only get 51% of the full housing allowance.   

Right now, the Post 9/11 GI Bill would most likely not pay you to go to a technical school as it only pays for degree programs and non-degree programs taught at degree-produing schools. That too will change starting in August when the Post 9/11 GI Bill will start paying for non-degree courses taught at non-degree schools. 

Share this
Your rating: None Average: 4.2 (25 votes)