As an Army Reservist, Go to School Without the Worry of Getting Deployed

Q: I heard about a program where I would not get deployed while I’m going to college. Is there such a Program? Andrea
A: Actually Andrea there is, but it does have some limitations. The program is called Education Career Stabilization (ECS) and is found in the Army Reserve.
How it works is when you enlist, you can get up to a four-year deferment from mobilization and deployment to Afghanistan. However, it does not defer you from being deployed elsewhere - the other part of the story a recruiter might not tell you.
But right now, your chances of getting deployed someplace are small, however, if we happen to get involved elsewhere in the world during your deferment, your deployment chances could go up – especially if you are in either a low density Military Occupational Specialty (MOS)or unit.
 If you choose the ECS program, you still eligible for education incentives, such as:

  • $345 per month in Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserves ( MGIB-SR) money
  • $4,500 per year in Tuition Assistance
  • $65,000 in student loan repayment
  • $350 per month in MGIB Kicker money
  • $200 per month in ECS pay.

And you would still get your monthly drill pay, which varies according to your rank.
There are some qualifications you must initially meet to get into the program and then some others to stay in:
* Initially

  • Must be between the ages of 17-35
  • A high school graduate or graduating senior
  • U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien
  • In good condition physically and mentally
  • Score 50 or higher in the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB)Test Score Category I-IIIA

* To continue

  • Remain in good standing by attending monthly drills and annual training periods
  • Maintain enrollment with at least 12 semester credits( if attending school full-time) or at least 6 credits (if part-time)
  • Enroll in either a two or four-year school, including community colleges and technical schools.
  • Maintain at least a 2.0 Grade Point Average (GPA).

However, no program comes without a cost and ECS is no different. In return for your deployment deferment, you forfeit any enlistment bonus you may have otherwise qualified for and you have to sign up for an eight-year enlistment.
Once finished with school, you can qualify additional education benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill if you deploy on a Title 10 order. A one-year tour would put you at the 60% tier; three cumulative years gets you to the 100% level.
ECS is a great program that allows you to focus on your education while serving your country. And deploying after graduating earns you some additional education benefits you could use to work on an advanced degree. Secure you career future tomorrow’s by enlisting in the Army Reserves ECS program today.

Share this
Your rating: None Average: 4.2 (11 votes)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

if i go in with jrotc experience

i was in jrotc and i want to go into rotc in the army i am a little confused about jobs and i shot expert in the marksmanship test. what should i look for in the army

@ Justin Monster Baber

You can expect to go in as a PFC E-3. As far as choosing an MOS you'll have to research them & then ask a Recruiter which ones that interest you have openings at that time. Normally Combat Arms MOSs, Armor, Artillery, Cavalry & Infantry, have openings. Infantry probably has the most Soldiers so that might have a better possibility of being open at the time you enlist. Many young men want to be Infantrymen so maybe that isn't totally true. Infantry has openings for many cool schools like Ranger School & Airborne School usually have more slots available for Infantrymen. To be a Sniper the only MOSs eligible are Infantry & Cavalry Scouts. Same goes for Recon School (run by Ranger School Instructors).

As far as scoring high in any form of shooting before you join the Army it really doesn't make too much of a difference. You'll learn all about rifle marksmanship at BCT. It'll be easier for you if you have some familiarity with firearms but it's not necessary. You'll learn the Army method regardless.

It's important that you get a high score on the ASVAB to get the most choices of MOSs. Study hard for it & be prepared to take a practice test the first time you see a Recruiter. He'll want to know where you stand so he can suggest some MOSs to you.

You'll want to be in good physical shape before you ship to basic. It's not necessary but it makes it a lot easier. If you want to get a Ranger contract or go into Special Forces it's mandatory. I mentioned Ranger School earlier. Ranger School is open to all male Soldiers in any MOS. That won't get you in the Ranger Regiment, though. To get there you'll need an Option 40 contract. Then if you pass Ranger Assessment & Selection, RASP, you'll be assigned to the 75th Ranger Regt. Ranger School is also necessary sometime within your first year in the 75th. Those who attend Ranger School from other units in the Army will go back to the unit that sent them, not the 75th.

That's a pretty interesting

That's a pretty interesting question but what I am personally curious about is whether a person who hasn't got any military education and don't want to enter combat can join US military??
Actually, I'm a trained auto mechanic but I haven't got a college diploma - school was boring for me, I studied for a year but wasn't interested in learning, and was spending all the time with my bike. Unfortunately my parent don't approve of it. So I thogh of joining military but not sure whether I'm qualified to.

Forgot to tell - I'm 21 years

Forgot to tell - I'm 21 years old if it matters

Volunteering for Deployments as a Reservist?

Hi. I am reservist who will be getting out of AIT pretty soon. I originally thought that going the reserve route was I great idea for me but after Basic and AIT i have found that I really love the life of a full time active soldier. I would love to transfer to active but the likelihood of that happening is very long so instead I would like to volunteer for as many deployments as I can until I can re-enlist as an active soldier.

So my question is: Does anyone knew how I might go about volunteering for a deployment.