Am I Eligible for My Deceased Father's GI Bill?

Q: My father passed away in August of 2009. Can I use his GI Bill for school and housing?

A: Not unless he had transferred his Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to you on or after August 1, 2009 while still on active duty. If not, then you may qualify for the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance Program (DEA) provided your father’s passing was due to a service-connected injury illness or disability.

Under the DEA program, you would get 45 months of education entitlement paying $936 per month (the new amount starting October 1, 2010) for full-time training. You would have to pay all your own tuition, fees and housing expenses.

You would have from your 18th birthday until age 26 to use up the benefits. Any unused benefits left at age 26 would be lost.

As far as which programs you can take, DEA covers:

  • both undergraduate and graduate degree programs;
  • cooperative training;
  • certificate programs;
  • apprenticeships or on-the-job (OJT) training programs;
  • farm cooperative courses;
  • programs at overseas colleges leading to a college degrees;
  • preparatory courses for college or graduate school entrance examinations.
Share this
Your rating: None Average: 3 (8 votes)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

can i use my deseased fathers gi bill?

my father passed away when i was only 6 years old back in 1996 and i was wondering if it was possible to use his gi bill for college now that i am 22 years old?

Veterans affairs

My father served on the Vietnam war as sgt. First Calvary and divorced my mother before his passing, how would I find out if she cheated the system and received v a benifits when my father left no Will.

@ Zach l

Give the VA a call. That's the only way I can think of.